- Social interaction
- Discussion of current issues and events
And a lively conversation with our featured speaker
Douglas B. Rasmussen
Professor of Philosophy, St. John’s University
A Man for All Seasons:
Law, Liberty and Responsibility
We’ll see the film A Man for All Seasons and discuss law, liberty and moral responsibility in relation to it.
Douglas B. Rasmussen, who will lead the conversation, is professor of philosophy, at St. John’s University.
You can read about a previous version of Rasmussen’s film series.
He suggests the essay he wrote with Douglas Den Uyl in the April 2007 Freeman, Visible and Invisible Hands.
Prof. Rasmussen last spoke at Junto in April 1995: The Communitarian Challenge to Liberty.
- We gather at 7pm on the first Thursday. This month, we will follow an unusual schedule:
- We will begin the meeting with a discussion of current issues and events at 7pm.
- The featured speaker will be introduced at 7:20.
- The film will be shown at 7:50.
- There will be further Q&A at about 9:50, after the film.
- It is our custom to have discussions that are intense, but polite.
General Society Library
20 West 44th St.
Between 5th & 6th avenues, near Grand Central Terminal
Subway: 4, 5, 6, 7 to Grand Central – 42nd St.,
B, D, F, V to 42nd St. – Sixth Ave., or
1, 2, 3, 9, N, Q, R, S, or W to Times Square – 42nd St.
Admission is free, and no reservation is necessary.
Junto focuses on libertarianism, Objectivism — the philosophy of Ayn Rand — and investing.
Our founder and host is Victor Niederhoffer, publisher (with Laurel Kenner) of Daily Speculations.